Dogs are playful pets, and they love to spend time running, playing fetch, and socializing outdoors with their human companions.
As dogs mature into adulthood and later stages of life, it’s common to develop joint problems, joint mobility challenges, and arthritis.
When one or more of these conditions develop, even the most physically active dog will slow down due to pain and discomfort.
Like humans, dogs are prone to developing degenerative joint disease and osteoarthritis, one of the leading causes of inflammation, increased pain, swelling around joints, erosion of cartilage, and slower movements.
While osteoarthritis and other connective tissue conditions are progressive with age, many dogs can live long, comfortable lives with a management treatment plan. You can achieve this with a balanced diet, and the best joint supplements for dogs.
Let’s take a look at some of the most helpful formulas for your best friend:
- Dog Supplements for Joint Health
- Best Soft Chews Joint Supplement for Large Dogs
- Best Dog Joint Health Supplement With Vitamins C and E
- Best Advanced Formula for Dog Joint Health
- Best Powder Supplement for Dog Joint Health
- Best Daily Supplement for Dog Joint Health
- Selecting the Best Joint Health Formula for Your Dog
- 1. Your Dog's Age and Health
- 2. Arthritis or Joint Health Diagnosis
- 3. Veterinarian's Recommendations
- 4. Allergies and Food Sensitivities
Dog Supplements for Joint Health
There are many supplement products for joint care, including formulas for a senior dog, making it essential to choose a product with nutritious active ingredients that provide adequate joint support.
It’s essential to find the proper treatment plan that includes well-balanced dog food, a supportive environment, and supplements that improve your pet’s quality of life and mobility.
Our best joint supplement picks include the top vitamins, natural herbal remedies, and supplements specifically formulated to improve your dog’s joint health.
These formulas support your dog’s joint issues, moderate to advanced hip dysplasia, and manage pain while providing relief so that your pet enjoys an active lifestyle throughout life.
Best Soft Chews Joint Supplement for Large Dogs
The Nutramax Dasuquin Joint Health Supplement (reviewed here) for large dogs is one of the top brands recommended by veterinarians due to its high nutrient value and chewable tablets.
These tablets are soft, easily chewable, and contain the essential ingredients for supporting joint health, including chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, and natural extracts from green tea and Boswellia serrata.
These supplements are easy to include with your pet’s dry kibble, and only one is required daily, making this product affordable and easy to keep your dog’s joint health optimal.
We chose this brand as one of our favorite options because veterinarians recommend Nutramax Dasuquin as a top choice for regular joint support and improved mobility. It’s also available directly through veterinarians and is easy for dogs to chew and digest.
See more in our direct comparison: Dasuquin vs Cosequin or our separate Cosequin review.
- Soft chew tables are favored by most dogs and can be added to dry or wet food or fed separately, like a snack
- Nutramax Laboratories is a well-established brand that specializes in high-quality pet supplements
- It’s ideal for large breed dogs, including German Shepherds, Great Danes, Golden Retrievers, and other larger-sized older dogs
- It contains all the nutrients recommended by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient requirements for optimal maintenance
- The supplements supply up to six weeks of daily chew tables, with the option of providing up to two per day, as needed
- It is not recommended for smaller dog breeds under 60 lbs
Best Dog Joint Health Supplement With Vitamins C and E
Zesty Paws Mobility Bites for Dogs is one of our best dog supplements for hip and joint support.
These chewable bites offer glucosamine, an essential ingredient in improving your pet’s mobility when they suffer from joint cartilage problems and arthritic pain.
It’s one of our favorite supplements for dogs because these chewable treats contain many nutrients, such as vitamins C, E, and kelp, and are available in various flavors that make a tasty treat.
The supplement’s main ingredients, glucosamine, and chondroitin sulfate, support joint function, connective tissue, and healthy cartilage, while vitamins C and E further enhance the formula to promote the healthy formation of tissue and support.
These nutrients support your pet’s joints and movement, so they can stay active as they advance into the later stages of life.
- Zesty Paws’ supplements are easy to chew and digest and ideal for all dog breed sizes, including small, medium, and large adult dogs
- These supplements include OptiMSM, a form of methylsulfonylmethane that gives your dog greater muscle-flexing mobility, making it easy to stay physically fit and active for older dogs
- Zesty Paws is a high-quality brand that offers other essential nutritional supplements that are great to pair with your pet’s hip and joint health, including vitamins, omega fatty acid supplements, and a probiotic paste
- It’s an affordable product that’s easy to include in your dog’s meal plan
- These chewable tablets are available in several flavors, bacon, chicken, and duck
- You can purchase these supplements in packages of 90 or 250
- Not all supplement package sizes and flavors are consistently available for purchase
Best Advanced Formula for Dog Joint Health
PetHonesty Advanced Hip & Joint supplement is an advanced formula that supports older dogs and pets with mobility challenges.
This formula is potent because it also reduces joint stiffness and inflammation. It uses an all-natural combination of glucosamine, MSM, turmeric, and other natural extracts to keep your dog active.
Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory that can relieve chronic pain and discomfort, reducing your pet’s ability to play, run, or walk.
The blend of nutrients in this joint health supplement is gentle but robust. Your pet can enjoy the benefits of a powerful chew tablet without artificial ingredients, additives, or common allergens found in many dog food products and supplement formulas.
This high-performance supplement works fast, so we recommend it for dogs at risk for bone and joint issues, especially senior dogs. We noticed results within just a few weeks, including greater comfort and movement.
- All ingredients are derived from natural sources so that there are no artificial flavors, preservatives, or additives
- This supplement is easily digestible for most dogs and does not contain any soy, corn, or other ingredients that often cause an allergic reaction
- This formula contains powerful active ingredients to support your dog’s muscular system, bones, and joint health, including eggshell meal, Yucca Schidigera, turmeric, chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, MSM, and other extracts to boost your pet’s immunity
- Each chewable tablet is packed with a high density of nutrients, so your pet only needs one or two daily for maximum benefits
- Superfood ingredients are included in the supplement formula for added nutrition: carrots, tomatoes, and sweet potato
- It’s an expensive supplement compared to other brands and products that support your dog’s joint health, though worth the investment in your pet’s comfort and health
- There are limited size and flavor options for this product
Best Powder Supplement for Dog Joint Health
Honest Paws Dog Mobility Health bone supplement is a powder that you can easily blend into your dog’s regular meals, including wet or raw food, peanut butter, or other natural foods.
This supplement promotes strong bone development and joints with omega 3 fatty acids extracted from green-lipped mussels and other active ingredients that keep your dog healthy and active.
One of the featured ingredients supporting joints and connective tissue is Boswellia serrata, a tree extract that keeps joints hydrated and prevents inflammation.
In addition to providing a rich combination of nutrients, the Honest Paws Dog Mobility powder supplement offers a bacon popcorn flavor that we found easy to add to our dog’s diet. It’s also perfect for all pet sizes, from small to large dog breeds.
- This formula contains all your dog’s ingredients to develop and maintain healthy connective tissue, cartilage, ligaments, and muscles
- It’s an excellent supplement for dogs with hip dysplasia and related joint disorders, as it reduces inflammation and chronic pain
- All ingredients are carefully sourced from high-quality plants and extracts, including the Green-lipped mussel, which originates from New Zealand and offers a significant source of omega 3 fatty acids
- It contains glucosamine HCL, which increases mobility and bone health
- The convenient powder formula allows you to measure the amount your dog needs depending on their size, which is roughly half a scoop for smaller dogs below 25 lbs, one scoop for medium breed pups, and two scoops for large breed dogs
- Available in one flavor only
- It’s not recommended for other pets, as this formula is only suitable for dogs
Best Daily Supplement for Dog Joint Health
Doggie Dailies Glucosamine supplements for dogs are soft chews that provide your dog with essential nutrients while supporting healthy hips, bones, and joints.
These tablets are ideal for dogs of all breed sizes and types, especially older dogs that need extra support in staying active in the later stages of life.
This formula is prepared and tested in certified (Level 3 SQF) facilities and meets the National Supplement Council Seal of Quality qualifications.
These soft chews are ideal for most dogs, as they contain a mild but tasty chicken flavor with all the essential ingredients for supporting your pet’s bone and connective tissue health.
Each tablet contains a blend of salmon oil, cod liver oil, MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin, Yucca Schidigera, hyaluronic acid, and CoQ10, ideal for aging dogs with chronic muscle and joint issues.
- This formula contains glucosamine chondroitin prepared with the cold-press extrusion process to maintain high potency for the best results
- Doggie Dailies offers a high-quality, certified blend of ingredients to support your dog’s flexibility and mobility
- It’s a mild but potent formula that’s suitable for all dog sizes, breeds, and stages of life
- It helps promote healthy cartilage growth and development to improve joint movement for hips, bones, and muscles
- Every batch of supplements is rigorously tested at a third-party facility for quality
- The omega 3 fatty acids contained in this formula provide other health benefits, in addition to joint support, including skin and coat health, pain relief, and digestion
- This supplement is not recommended for puppies under six months
- It’s more expensive than other products and may require more than one chewable tablet per day for large breed dogs
Selecting the Best Joint Health Formula for Your Dog
When you choose a joint health supplement for your dog, it’s essential to find a powerful formula that gives your pet the best preventative and proactive treatment to enjoy a long, active lifestyle without unnecessary inflammation from swelled joints, muscle pain, and decreased pain mobility.
While it’s natural to notice a lower activity level in senior dogs, it’s typically a gradual process, which can abruptly change when a dog is diagnosed with arthritis, connective tissue problems, and joint issues that impact their mobility.
While many products are available that promise excellent results, it’s also essential to choose a safe, natural formula while remaining effective in improving your pet’s bones, muscles, and joints.
You’ll want to choose a product without the adverse side effects of artificial ingredients, which can cause further problems in the future.
When you review the types of products available, you’ll want to consider the following factors before making your decision
1. Your Dog’s Age and Health
If your pet is a puppy with no visible signs of bone or joint pain and no concerns from the veterinarian, you don’t have to begin providing supplements for your pet’s bone and joint health.
Instead, you’ll want to focus on a highly nutritious diet with quality proteins, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids to keep your pup’s bones and muscles healthy.
2. Arthritis or Joint Health Diagnosis
When your pet’s veterinarian diagnoses your dog with a chronic condition that impacts their joint, hip, and bone health, you’ll ask for a recommendation. Your vet may offer some of our top choice supplements, so you can get your pet started on a vital regime to improve their health.
As dogs age, they often develop joint stiffness, impacting their physical activity and leading to other health concerns, including excessive weight gain, higher blood sugar, and heart conditions.
Suppose you’re uncertain of a supplement’s effectiveness. In that case, your vet can offer an alternative product, changes to your pet’s diet, and other treatment options to improve their quality of life and activity level.
3. Veterinarian’s Recommendations
The best course of action to support your dog’s joint and bone health is with recommendations from the vet, which may include dietary changes, regular physical activity, and specific supplements based on your pet’s health requirements.
Some formulas offer additional health benefits to your pet’s coat, skin, and digestive system.
Your veterinarian will also be familiar with any adverse effects certain ingredients may have on your dog’s health, including allergic reactions, which are considered when recommending a quality supplement.
4. Allergies and Food Sensitivities
Many quality supplements, including our top picks, avoid the most common allergens and ingredients that cause digestive issues, including soy, wheat, and corn.
You can easily avoid the most problematic ingredients, as a good formula will list all the active ingredients, including extracts, to avoid potential allergic reactions.
Best Joint Supplements For Dogs FAQs
How often should I feed joint supplements to my dog?
The number of tablets or scoops of supplement powder depends on your dog’s size and age.
Based on these guidelines, most supplements provide straightforward instructions on feeding your pet, though your veterinarian may vary the dose depending on your pet’s health requirements.
Is it safe to provide bone and joint supplements to puppies?
In most cases, bone and joint health supplements are healthy for dogs of any size and breed over six months of age.
While puppies can benefit from the health benefits of these supplements, it’s best to implement a high-protein and nutrient-rich diet from a young age and add chewable tablets or a powder supplement when they need the support later in life.
Some supplements are designed specifically for senior dogs that require pain relief and support for cartilage, joints, and bones to remain active.
How can I tell if my dog suffers from joint pain and related issues?
Dogs are typically active, so any changes to their physical activity could be a sign of achy joints from arthritis or the breakdown of cartilage.
Initially, it’s best to visit your veterinarian for a thorough assessment and diagnosis, so you can choose the right supplements and make dietary changes for your pet’s health, as needed.
Some significant signs that your pet is suffering from joint pain and arthritis include swollen areas around their joints, limping, difficulty sitting or lifting one or more limbs, and popping or cracking sounds when they move.
Should I choose a bone and joint supplement specifically for my dog’s size and breed?
There are lots of quality supplements prepared specifically for specific dog breeds and sizes.
However, it’s more important to consider the value of the nutrients and consult your veterinarian with any questions or concerns. Many supplements offer excellent quality chews or powders that can be adjusted based on your dog’s size and age.
Is excessive weight a contributing factor to my dog’s bone and joint health?
Yes. Dogs with excessive weight carry a higher risk of developing joint and bone issues because the added stress puts pressure on their movements.
Obesity is common in many senior dogs, especially as they become less active and their metabolism slows over time.
One of the best ways to reduce pain and swelling associated with joint problems is by making dietary changes and a quality supplement to strengthen your pet’s connective tissue and joints. Greater mobility and reduced pain will also help your dog get active and lose excess weight.